Palm Beach Civic Association
The Palm Beach Civic Association was founded in 1944 by a handful of civic minded Palm Beachers who wished to preserve, protect and enhance the special qualities of their amazing island.
Under the leadership of Alexander H. Rutherford, first Civic Association president; Joseph F. Gunster, Vice President and the namesake of the first law firm in Palm Beach; Page Hufty, Vice President; and famous Palm Beach architect John Volk, PBCA secretary, the association quickly grew its membership to over 300 members in the first two years.
For decades, the Civic Association has been guided by great leaders such as Bob Wright, Stephen L. Brown, William M. Guttman, George G. Matthews, Louis C. Pryor, Doyle Rogers, Stanley M. Rumbough, Jr., and Harold Scott. The membership has grown to well over 2,000 men and women. A prestigious board of 130 directors guides the active community organization and more than 90 Palm Beach businesses are corporate members.
Today, the Palm Beach Civic Association continues to embody the same basic principles that it was founded on almost a century ago.
• Protect and improve the quality of life in Palm Beach
• Educate and engage residents on key town issues
• Take proactive stands on civic affairs
• Work closely with local government
• Encourage citizen involvement in this amazing community
Preserving Palm Beach is the heart of the Civic Association's mission. We share a never-ending passion for this one-of-a-kind community. Our directors, members, and corporate partners stand proudly with others throughout the generations in making Palm Beach the very best place to call home. Recognized by the IRS as a non-profit 501(c)(3) foundation.
To protect and improve the quality of life in Palm Beach by taking proactive stands on civic affairs, educating and engaging residents on key town issues, working with local government, and encouraging citizen involvement in the community.